Many business owners do not know how their website’s SEO really is. An SEO site analysis helps give you a baseline for understanding where you are and what can be improved. Under the hood, a website holds all kinds of information that Google and other search engines use to better rank a website. Truth be told, you can have the most optimized site on the planet but if no one else links to your site you will have a poor Google ranking. In fact, backlinks (sites that link to you) are a major ranking factor for Google. The quality of backlinks is very important. The better quality links you have that link back to you, the higher your Google ranking.
What to focus on
- Ask other local businesses to link to your site, give referrals a special offer
- Make sure that your local Google maps listing is updated
- Just as you might put flyers or cards from other local businesses in your storefront do so on your website and ask them to do the same
- Check and update your local listings such as YP.com, superpages.com, and beyond. Find all the issues and listings here
- Utilize keywords in your listings. Use this tool or Google keyword planner to identify keywords. Another tool is trends.google.com although this has far less relevance than the other tools.
- Guest blog or do local posts about a specialty you offer and link back to your website.